Yesterday was Halloween, so naturally I’m putting up a completely unrelated post. It’s about the idea of “The House of God”, the place where God dwells, God’s presence, and that sort of thing. I’m gonna let the bible do most of the talking here. This isn’t all the references to God’s house, or his household, or his dwelling place or anything. But they are a few that I think outline my ponderings. Also, have a look at the Jon Foreman song, HERE. It’s rad.
- “Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Psalm 23:6
- “LORD, I love the house where you live, the place where your glory dwells.” Psalm 26:8
- “One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life.” Psalm 27:4
- “…for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.” Isaiah 56:7b, cf Matthew 21:13
- “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” Matthew 7:24
- “My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” John 14:2-3
- “Do you not know that your are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;” 1 Corinthians 6:19
- “Jesus has been found worthy of greater honour than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honour than the house itself. For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything…Christ is faithful as the Son over God’s house. And we are his house , if indeed we hold hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory.” Hebrews 3:3-6
- “…you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” 1 Timothy 3:15
- “you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 2:5
- “And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.” Revelation 21:3
The vibe? God’s house is something we long for. God’s house is the place he chooses to dwell. Under the old covenant, that was the tabernacle and the temple. Under the New covenant, that is a now and not-yet situation; God dwells in and among his people, but this full presence will not be felt until Christ returns.
I guess it’s a similar concept to being “In Christ”; when we have the Spirit, and when God’s people meet, we have a sense of this dwelling of God.
But we should still long for a time when this incomplete sense of God’s house will pass, and a new, eternal order will come in, where God dwells among his people for ever. Stoked.